Everything you need to know about Online Marketing!
Any form of publicity or promotion for a product or service, undertaken in the digital space or the internet, to be accessed via a computer or mobile phone… It all falls under the Digital Marketing umbrella, right?
But that’s a pretty wide umbrella that covers a rather large ocean of its own!
So, we’ve created a guide that addresses certain digital marketing fundamentals and of course, vital marketing requirements to survive in the digitized world.
Let’s begin with:
The 2 SE’s – SEO & SEM
1) Search Engine Optimization
Optimization is more than just a buzz word. It’s beyond than just being seen or heard on the internet. It actually refers to your best, the most refined avatar in the online space.
Search Engine Optimization can create a symbiotic combination of a marketing and content strategy, increase focus on targeted audiences, boost conversion, and give wings to your social media efforts. It is a vital component that leads to larger accomplishments such as brand awareness and visibility and amazing user experience.
a) How to Achieve Technical SEO:
SEO that’s driven via content and marketing is pretty effective. But SEO applied to the core of your online existence, known as Technical SEO, is a sure-shot winner!
Search Engines are picky. They select who they wish to push at the beginning of the search results line, based on certain criteria.
Here are a few ways to adhere to these technical requirements:
- Boost Site Speed
Search engines prefer faster, compressed websites over slow, dragging ones. This can be achieved via multiple measures such as utilizing a common minified code, efficient hosting, original content, smaller image sizes and faster DNS.
- Be Mobile Friendly
Google, as usual, has proactively read the market and adjusted its algorithms accordingly to pay much attention to ‘site responsiveness’. Google’s ‘mobile first’ initiative is a clear announcement of its intention to give top priority to websites that can be accessed and navigating smoothly on multiple devices.
- Be Secure
There are numerous ways to keep your website secure and optimized. Security software or plugins such as are most effective. Installing an SSL certificate is recommended as is the use of HTTPS encryption. Other precautions such as secure passwords, an updated website and no provision for users to upload files to your site, should not be underestimated.
- Be Original
Fresh, engaging content is not only beneficial to your digital marketing efforts but also preferred by search engines. If you are borrowing some wise data nuggets, create links to the original web page.
b) Ways to win with Local SEO:
As the name suggests, local SEO is ideal for local, geographically focused businesses. This kind of search usually begins with “Restaurants near me….” or “Electricians near me” and ends with 3 top-ranked relevant business listings.
So, how does one feature among this top block?
- Google My Business: Create a profile and claim it. It’s free! A solid GMB profile should include all the details that are going to make it possible for Google to list you. Hence, your exact location is vital, followed by the name, phone numbers, URL etc. Such profiles create more structured citations that are easier to list.
- Website localization: This can be done with localized keywords in your content, whether you’re talking about yourself or any other local event or personality.
- Positive Reviews: Search engines are mainly interested in the number of good reviews, quality of reviews and the individual authority of the reviewing sites that are offering you ratings.
- Quality back-linking: These should ideally be gained via natural means with top, authoritative websites. Even successful blogger sites or from local groups can boost your visibility.
c) How to use Keyword search
Optimized content has a few qualities. Being filled to the brim with keywords and key phrases is an important one. Keywords make it easy for search engines to match-make between user requests and possible solutions.
To master their usage, it’s necessary to know that keywords are not made up by some Google Gods! They are directly dictated by the common language used by the general populace. However, finding the best kind of keywords is an ongoing process and is a little more complicated than using mere common sense.
So, one must:
- Utilize keyword search tools
- Constantly update and widen the keyword list
- Finding keywords that are not too general or common
- Use them throughout the content ie: in the title, URL, web copy, anchor text, meta titles galore…
d) Finding the right SEO tools
SEO tools or software is very helpful in keeping search engine optimization alive.
Here are the typical tools of the more effective ones:
- SEO audit
- Keyword research and planner
- Social media bulk post scheduler
2) Search Engine Marketing
Have you noticed opportunistic advertising that pops up when you trigger an internet search?
That doesn’t happen by accident, it’s a result of well-planned search engine marketing! The primary tool for this is Paid Advertising which picks up keywords typed by a searcher and then displays appropriate product and service ads on the SERPs.
Paid advertising, more often than not, follows the pay-per-click format which means the advertiser is only charged if someone cares to commit with a right click on the displayed ad.
Hence, the costs for this tool are limited to basic ad design and correct keyword inclusion. However, they need to be highly convincing, informative and on point with the price and good customer reviews. Words such as “Discount”, “Try then buy”, “Deal” and “Sale” work wonders! Customers who are seeing your SEM paid ad are way up the funnel, ready and ripe to make that purchase.
In fact, the gains are easy and immense via search engine marketing paid ads which make this method, one of the most powerful on the internet.
Read: Google Ads guide
Social Media Marketing
Since everything on the internet can be optimized, social media can be too!
Utilizing social media to boost online presence is common. However, optimizing a social media strategy involves certain steps:
- Finding the perfect keywords
- Making a comprehensive business profile
- Including a good blend of original and curated content
- Using the most effective and engaging headlines
- Making posts image heavy
- Finding the right posting schedule
- Knowing the right posting frequency
- Organic Marketing using Social Media
Though most social media sites are actively pushing for paid advertising, all the time, organic marketing via social media is sometimes more feasible, especially for Start-ups.
So, here are a few ways to push organic reach using social media sites:
- Conduct consumer surveys to understand customers and their preferences
- Know which platform is working best
- Notice where your content is being shared the most
- Original, evergreen content
- Post on non-peak hours
- Push your profiles everywhere!
- Keep interacting…
Paid Advertising in Social Media
With an increasing number of people using social media each day, the idea of paid advertising on social media platforms is making a lot of sense.
The advantages of paying for advertising backed by social media sites are many. It’s just only about potential consumers spotting your ad somewhere along the way, and maybe clicking on it. The mightier social media giants are using Big Data and Machine Learning to pinpoint your target audiences and facilitate your brand, product and service marketing.
Let’s have a look at every aspect of paid ad benefits via social media:
Most social media platforms operate on a PPC basis which means that you only pay if a potential customer performs a particular desired act. ie: a sale or booking, a recommendation, or even a specific inquiry.
As an example, here is a chart for Facebook’s PPC rates as per industry –
There actually is no better way to get your brand out there than using social media platforms. As soon as your brand name or ad starts appearing often in various news feeds, it will enter the minds of your consumers and start building brand awareness among them.
This will naturally lead to higher engagement and finally sales. It is, therefore, the most effective medium to place paid ads.
Not only can you drive audiences to act but also accurately measure the success of your ad campaign via social media.
Metrics such as which kind of ad works better, which ads lead to conversion are vital data points that can help you improve and enhance your paid ad campaign.
Since a large portion of audiences, prefer to access social media via their phones, you will enjoy high visibility on every device.
Purchases via mobile phones are the simplest and quickest method known to man today!
Mastering the Art of Link Building
Though linking sounds straightforward, it needs to follow certain rules to be a win-win for all parties involved. What we mean by this is that quality link building is done through mutual relationships.
Search engines desire quick, organic results for the user. Hence, every link created needs to be in context. It also needs to offer value to the website being back-linked to, and to the user.
One needs to define one’s linkable assets with a wider, more macro perspective. Creating links that help others along with you, is a proven link building strategy.
Making the most of Email Marketing
The uses of email marketing campaigns are vast and still among the most effective.
Well written and timed emails can create hype, inform, re-assure, launch, entertain and even sell.
- Creating email lists: Effective email lists are always created. This is done via websites, social media, live conventions or any other platform in which you are honestly interacting with a target audience.
- Email Marketing Platforms: There are a variety of email marketing platforms, of which Mailchimp is the most popular
- Optimizing emails: This includes avoiding spam folders, filtering inactive users, accurate timing, personalized and engaging content, and making it available on mobiles.
Digital Marketing KPIs
The beauty of everything online is that it can be measured and recorded. There’s no place for guesstimates or opinions! It’s all fact!
Some of the primary Key Performance Indicators to gauge Digital Marketing efforts include:
- Lead generation: New leads, qualified leads, cost per generated lead, cost per conversion, time per conversion, customer retention rate, customer attrition rate and net promoter score.
- Website data: website traffic, returning v/s fresh visitors, visits per channel, average time spent on per page, conversion rate, call to action results, click through rate, and pages per visit.
- Search Engine Optimization: inbound links, organic search traffic, leads from organic search, conversions from organic search, page authority, Google page rank, Rank of keywords, conversion rate per keyword, traffic from the video content,
- Advertising: Conversions from paid advertising, leads from paid advertising, cost per acquisition and cost per conversion, click through rate on PPC, social media ads, leads and conversions from social media, and engagement rate.
Digital Marketing Agency – What to expect
A comprehensive, well-planned digital marketing campaign requires deep and updated knowledge about every digital tool out there. Due to its dynamism, companies prefer to hire experienced digital marketing professionals to handle their online presence.
Post a detailed briefing, you can expect a customized digital marketing plan that aims to strengthen weaknesses and further build on company strengths.
Call us or visit today to discuss your digital marketing needs.